Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Deployment #3: TRANSLANT

Welcome to my Deployment Blog!

Here is the much anticipated first installment of my deployment updates!! Since this deployment isn't a "show the flag" cruise like last year, I doubt I'll be sending updates weekly, but I'll try to keep you apprised of what is going on while I'm gone.... For now, I can only tell you that we are on our way to South Africa and I am so excited (and I can only say that because the local newpaper and radios have already reported as such!).... I'm very excited, as that was my last port visit on NORMANDY this time last year and Capetown has been my favorite port visit since I've been in the Navy. I'm super excited to go back, sample the wine, dive with Great White Sharks, and travel to Robben Island to see the jail cell in which Nelson Mandela was imprisoned (all of which, with the exception of the wine tasting, I missed out on last time I was there).

Although I was originally scheduled to deploy on the 12th, we were ordered to leave a few days early in order to meet tasking and maintain our schedule! So departure day was moved up to Monday (the 8th). Then along came Hurricane Hanna and we thought we were going to leave even earlier. Thankfully, Hanna wasn't too dangerous and the ships were permitted to remain in port for the weekend!

Monday, the 8th, we got underway around noon, and it was bittersweet as I came to the realization that I was pulling out of Norfolk for the last time! For those who are wondering, I still don't know when I'll be coming home (or even if I'll be coming home early). I'll keep you posted as soon as I know anything! I do have a preliminary list of possible dates for port visits (lots of opportunities to visit you Caitlin....I'll let you know as soon as something firms up) and they do line up with all of the combinations of leave I have requested. So I just have to wait and see what gets approved! Cross your fingers for me!

During this deployment, I am standing Staff Tactical Watch Officer, which is a lot like the Combat Watches (CICWO) I was standing during my last deployment on NORMANDY, except that this time I am responsible for the movement of all the ships in our group! Should we get into an engagement with opposing forces, I will be issuing orders for our ships to cover enemy forces and possibly use deadly force to defend themselves and the Carrier (on which I am embarked). We are on watch for six hours with 12 hours between watches. During the work up phase, we were standing seven on - five off - five on - seven off which was very demanding and difficult. It was really exhausting, so this watch rotation is much better. I've been able to work out almost every day, get at least two meals a day in the Wardroom, and I even had plenty of time to attend Mass in the ship's chapel on Sunday. Carriers have priests onboard, unlike NORMANDY, so I don't have to give abbreviated "Lay Services" anymore and can actually enjoy a real Mass!!

Anyway, that is about it for now....we're just making our way across the ocean, so I don't have much exciting to report!

For now, all emails, cards, or happy thoughts are welcome!
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment