Sunday, September 28, 2008

Deployment #3: Heading South

Hey!!

It's sort of deja vu for me right now... About this time last year, I was following almost the exact same track down the Western Coast of Africa, across the equator, and onward to Capetown, South Africa! So this is a good feeling. I'm really getting excited about heading into port (afterall, it'll be a month non-stop at sea by the time we get into port!) and visiting a place I've been before, getting do see some things I missed the first time around.

A few days ago, when we crossed the Equator, we conducted a Shellback ceremony (like the one I participated in last year) which is a Navy tradition when "crossing the line" (Equator). Unfortunately, it wasn't an "Emerald Shellback" (crossing the equator at the Prime Meridian) which is what I did last year.

Just to give you a little insight into my day, for those not familiar with Navy life. We do not get days off or weekends while at sea. You're on duty all the time, with very long days. The watch rotation here (where I sit in Combat as the STWO, which I explained in my last email) is six hours long, with three watch teams. That means that our watch rotates (i.e., we don't stand watch at the same time every day). Watch runs from 6AM to noon, noon to 6PM, 6PM to midnight, and midnight to 6AM. In addition to standing watch, we have our regular duties, so I am still performing as the Training Officer for the Destroyer Squadron, tracking all the certifications for all seven of our ships (of which only three are deployed with us, three are deployed independently elsewhere in the world, and one just returned from deployment). So all those time differences make it difficult to work normal hours! I still brief the Commodore twice each week, and I still coordinate training teams, certification teams, and schools for each ship. Thus far, my days have been going from around 6AM until midnight, unless I have the "midwatch" in which case I don't go to sleep! I have tried to get into a daily routine, fitting in 6 hours for watch, 6 hours for sleep, 6 hours to do my normal daily work as the Training Officer, and 6 hours for eating, doing laundry, various meetings, working out, and a small amount of personal time to just chill out! So far it's working out pretty well, but we'll see how it goes by the end of cruise!

Due to where we're going, I received small pox and anthrax vaccinations last week. What an experience! I have a gross mess due to the small pox (it forms a huge blister at the injection point) that I have to keep covered at all times until it is completely healed...they don't want the blister to pop. The first round of anthrax (I'll get three total) caused an "egg" on the back of my arm that is very tender, and has bruised on the edges. Additionally, the vaccine causes flu-like symptoms, so I experienced dizziness, muscle aches, fever, and nausea for a few days after. Not so pleasant, and makes sleeping comfortably very difficult! They tell me it should last about another week...just in time to get the next round of shots! All in a day's work, though, right?

Other than that, not much new to report. Things are starting to roll into motion regarding my return home, but nothing firm just yet. I'll either get to come home early, or get to enjoy a few more months of tax free income...so there are positives to both sides!! :-)

Until next time...stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment