You mamas out there know what I'm talking about. The never-ending changes that come with having a baby. The struggle to establish a schedule, only to have your baby change things up the minute you finally figure out a routine. The challenge to schedule doctor's appointments and play dates and "mommy time" (does that really actually exist?!) based on when your little one normally naps and usually eats.
I've been lucky. Little Man is a schedule baby. And he creates that schedule by himself, with no prodding by me. It's just ingrained in him, and that works for us. It makes my life easier, and it makes my husband's easier when I'm Drilling and have to go over Bunkey's routine the night before I leave for the weekend. But that schedule seems to change almost monthly, if not more often. I can't complain; Bunkey tells me, in his own way, when he's ready to change things up. He lets me know his new needs, and within a couple of days, we're back in the swing of things, marching to a new tempo, but right in rhythm with each other. And it's been like this nearly since he was born.
I know. I'm lucky. I'm so grateful that my baby takes after me and my anal-retentive Type-A personality.
So, our latest change is going strong. At his nine-month well-baby check, Dr J told me that Bunkey would likely be moving toward three meals a day, rather than the four he'd been going on for quite some time. On the one hand I was excited that we'd have a tad more freedom during the day. On the other, I was worried he wouldn't get enough food (he's a pretty skinny baby!). But, as with many things, I'm not in charge here. And sure enough, right around the ten-month mark, Bunkey let me know it was time. His morning and afternoon naps started getting longer (which I also attribute to the fact that he is so active during his play times) to the point that he was missing one of the mid-day bottles. So we just dropped it. Eventually the naps regulated themselves to revolve around "traditional" meal times of 7:00, 11:00 or 12:00, and 5:00. Bedtime still starts around 7:30 with a bath and in the crib by 8:00, and everyone is happy.
Especially me. Because I didn't realize exactly how much freedom I'd be getting with just dropping that one early afternoon bottle at 2:00. I can run errands now and not have to bring food with me. I can work out and take a shower both during the morning nap so that I'm actually dressed before 3:00 in the afternoon! And, since Bunkey is mostly self-feeding now, I can make dinner for Hubs and me while he eats, since I don't have to spoon-feed him every bite. He still won't hold his own bottle (unless he's laying down), so I have to do that part, but for the most part, feeding times are pretty independent! As an older baby, we don't have to burp Bunkey every few ounces, or even at the end of a feeding. The spit-up is less. It's wonderful. I almost don't know what to do with myself.
Almost.
And then I remember that we eventually want more kids. So I know I better enjoy this "freedom" while I can!
Oh, and before I forget, my little man grew his fifth tooth.
And started walking.
Yes, I said walking.
At ten-and-a-half months.
I can hardly believe it.
Aww... so many great things! That's when Ash started walking too - such a fun time! :)
ReplyDeleteI've struggled with how to adjust Chloe's feeding too. We dropped one feeding last month and even that is nice. They sure do keep us on our toes! And walking?? Oh my!
ReplyDeleteYou're very lucky that he started a schedule at birth! Each day is a new adventure in this house... LOL. So cool that he's walking! I've heard that the skinny ones sometimes walk earlier because it's easier for them than the chubby ones.
ReplyDelete