Friday, February 11, 2011

Finally!

The Hubs finally got to feel our Little Monkey rockin' and rollin' around inside my belly!  As we lay in bed reading at night, chatting about our day and winding down before drifting into dreamland, I've found the baby to be most active.  Several times, I've reached over to grab Hubs's hand and place it over the movements in my belly.  Well, it appears our Little Monkey is a bit of a rebel, because every time his/her daddy wants to experience the magical movements, he/she plays hide-and-go-seek and refuses to move again until Daddy's hand is gone.  Last night, we finally got some cooperation out of our little one!  And now I can finally appease my mama who's been jonesin' for a feel all her own, but which I was reluctant to share until Hubs got his turn!

My mother-in-law finally called me!  Maybe I haven't mentioned this before, but in the five years I've known Hubs (and during one of which we were engaged and nearly three we've been married) my MIL has picked up the phone and called me exactly twice.  That's right.  Once she called me during a bridal shower to say a few words about why she was sad she couldn't be there (and honestly, I'm convinced the hostess of the party was the one to orchestrate that call) and the other was on my birthday the first year we were married...when she told me that she didn't know what to get me for a gift, so she told Hubs to take me out to lunch instead.  Well, guess what, Hubs and I were already away for the weekend and we had to eat, so he was taking me out for lunch anyway...and I'm fairly certain she never sent him a check.  But that is a whole other post.  Regardless, my MIL never called me during either of Hubs's two deployments since we were married, she didn't call after my father died, and she didn't bother to call last summer when she and my FIL decided to show up at our house two days ahead of their planned visit!  But, she called me yesterday.  Granted, she was calling me back.  I'd called her a few times to answer a question she'd sent me an email about, but she wasn't home and I hate leaving messages...but she finally called me back.  Trust me when I say I'm shocked!  And let me just add that when we were first married and Hubs told me I should call his mom because she really liked talking to me, I laughed and said, "That's funny because I do call your mom every so often...but the door swings both ways and it would make me feel like a welcome part of your family if she put forth some effort as well."  Hubs either didn't pass on that message or his mom chose to ignore it, but no one can say I'm not trying, can they?!  Oh well...she called me (back) yesterday, so maybe after three years she's decided to try as well!

I finally got a glorious full-night's sleep!  Perhaps after nights of not being able to breathe or get comfy my body finally gave in to the Sandman.  Or perhaps the antibiotics my doctor gave me are working wonders.  Or perhaps our bedroom was just the perfect temperature.  But last night I got a great sleep!  No waking up in the middle of the night to pee.  No waking up unable to take a deep breath because there's congestion catching in my throat.  No Hubs stealing the precious blankets off my always freezing feet.  Just great sleep.  And a dream about my dad, which is somehow always very comforting to me.  I can't really remember the dream now, but I remember Dad was in it, and I love those moments because I'm able to touch him, smell him, and hear his voice, things I'm terribly fearful of forgetting as the months and years go on.  I'm desperate to remember all the wonderful stories of Dad to share them with Little Monkey, so that my precious babe will know his/her Granddaddy, even if only in spirit.  And it's funny how I'll remember certain stories at the oddest times.  Like while at Target last night, and witnessing a father and his two littles in the sporting goods section: the littles were trying to pick out a rubber ball (ya know, the colorful ones that they keep in those super-tall metal cages?).  Of course, the kids wanted to pull the balls out and then throw them high high high up and back into the cage, and the smallest girl couldn't quite make it.  But when her  daddy tried to help her, she cried, "No, Daddy!  I want to do it!"  And of course he appeased her.  And yes, that reminded me of similar times with my dad, as well as times when my mom would shop and Dad would take Big Brother and I to the shoe section to sit down and he'd tell us storied until Mom was finished.

So yes, finally...  Lots of finally in my life yesterday, and thank goodness the finallies were all good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment