For Christmas, my sister-in-law bought Hubs and me a Nook. At first I was really excited about such a nice gift, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that while Hubs and I both love to read, we also prefer to have an actual book to turn the pages and later store in our growing library...which, by the way, has a substantial number of unread books we just haven't had the time to crack open lately. So, we decided to return the Nook and find something else that we'd enjoy using more. Except that Barnes & Noble wanted to create some drama in the return process for us. After several visits to our local B&N, a couple phone calls to the store in my SIL's hometown, and multiple conversations with multiple disgruntled sales representatives, supervisors, and managers, we were finally able to secure a gift certificate for the purchase price of the Nook.
Only problem was finding enough books to use up such a substantial amount of money without just buying something and knowing that neither of us has time to cuddle up with a really good book for at least another couple of months.
What to do? Well, since we didn't go out for New Years Eve (didn't really seem like much fun to a preggo lady who can't drink, and we live kind of far away from any bar scene), we were bored and not at all hung over on New Year's Day. So we made a trip out to Barnes & Noble to see what we could find. While Hubs went straight to the historical books, I made a beeline for the children's section. I thought about looking for a few classics to add to my collection, but I just don't have time these days to delve into Dickens or Bronte.
As I browsed the books, it suddenly hit me that my love for the written word stems from my own childhood. Since Big Brother and I are only eighteen months apart, bedtime stories were a group activity in our house. Dad read to us every night before bed, and we'd take turns snuggling up either in Big Brother's room or mine. We were each allowed to pick a story, and we usually begged for just one more. More often then not, we read from Shari Lewis's One Minute Bedtime Stories, so Dad really didn't have a problem reading us four stories each night. And Big Brother and I were too young to realized that at a minute a piece, we weren't prolonging bedtime by much.
Later, when we were old enough for chapter books, our love of reading continued. Big Brother was reading The Hardy Boys by first grade, and I devoured any Beverly Cleary book I could get my hands on. Gramps, my dad's dad, encouraged our love for reading when he started a tradition of taking us to the bookstore at the end of our visits to his house in North Carolina. While I our parents finished packing the car, Gramps would take us to the local book store and buy us each a book to read on the five hour drive home. Eventually, he would have to buy us each two books because we'd read them so quickly!
As I perused the colorful children's books, I vowed that I'd make a love of reading a goal for my children. So, I chose several books that I love, with fabulous illustrations, creative rhymes, and timeless story lines. But even with my choices, and a couple books Hubs and I found that we decided to use as motivation to get through the coming busy months, we had a substantial amount left on our gift card. So I came home and found some other favorites on www.bn.com that weren't available in the store. We still have some money left, but we're well on our way to a wonderful library for our baby...and future babies to come!
Enjoy a few of our selections! I've included author information and the synopses from the cover sleeves in case you'd like to add these stories to your collections!
Little Nutbrown Hare loves Big Nutbrown Hare as far as he can reach and as high as he can hop. But Big Nutbrown Hare loves him as far as his long arms can reach and as as high as his strong legs can hop. Well then, Little Nutbrown Hare loves Big Nutbrown Hare right up to the Moon! This touching bedtime story seeks to measure the immeasurable: the love between a parent and a child.
Raindrop, Plop by Wendy Cheyette Lewison
How many ways can you have fun on a rainy day? From one little raindrop to ten toes soaking in a warm bubble bath, there are lots of things to see and count until the sun comes out again.
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
A book my mother sent me while I was deployed and having a rough time. Even at 25, it was the perfect book! School is starting in the forest, but Chester Raccoon does not want to go. To help ease Chester's fears, Mrs. Raccoon shares a family secret called the Kissing Hand to give him the reassurance of her love any time his world feels a little scary.
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
A classic story of a little boy who goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man. It is also about the enduring nature of parents' love and how it crosses generations.
The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
Little Bunny says he wants to head out on his own, but Mama responds to all his escapades with reassurance that she will always be there. Little Bunny finally decides that he might as well stay home in the loving comfort of his Mama's arms. Black and white illustrations alternate with full color spreads whenever Mama responds with her unconditional love and care.
Day is Done by Peter Yarrow
A mother bear nestles her cub in safely for the night, a father deer reassured his baby that the thunder he hears will not hurt him, a family of field mice settle down in the comfort of each other's warmth, and a small boy is tucked into bed by his father. Night is closing in, but the young ones - furry and otherwise - know that all is well. Their parents are close, there is nothing to fear.
Some animals stop by Bear's cave to warm up, but even after tea is brewed and corn is popped, he just snores on! What will Bear do when he wakes up to find his cave full of uninvited guests having a party without him?







I love LOVE children's books! I kept all my own favorite books and can't wait to read them to my own kids (someday...)
ReplyDeleteHere is my Amazon list of some incredibly beautiful children's books you might like:
http://www.amazon.com/lm/R25NN00BIYO0WO/ref=cm_pdp_lm_title_1
Aww, I remember Love You Forever!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite time of day is the time that B and I spend reading before bedtime. Some other greats are Make Way for Ducklings, The Velveteen Rabbit, and Harry the Dirty Dog. When he was very small, B liked the singsong nature of the Dr. Seuss books and he is now really into lift-flap books, Where's Spot, Pat the Bunny.
ReplyDeleteAlso, two great Dad books are My Dad loves Me and the Fathers are Coming Home. Great deployment books.
ReplyDelete